- Activation and Notification Phase - this phase is all about figuring out there is a disaster, what plan is going to be followed, and alerting anyone that will be impacted by the disaster that there will be an interruption to the systems they routinely use.
- Pre-System Recovery Phase - specific to my project, there are 16 critical systems. Some of those systems are what you might think of as applications - Microsoft Word - while others are systems that you might think of as prerequisite systems - Microsoft Windows - as a limited in scope example. I am thinking only about the fact that Microsoft Windows is a prerequisite to using Microsoft Word. Thus, this phase is about restoring the prerequisite systems that are required to be in place before restoring other systems.
- System Recovery Phase - This phase is all about restoring the systems that are used by end-users, such as Microsoft Word within the context of the example in the Pre-System Recovery Phase.
- Service Recovery Phase - this phase is all about testing and validating that the systems have been restored. For example, continuing the Microsoft Windows / Microsoft Word example, this phase would be about opening Microsoft Word and verifying that it actually opens and functions.
- Return to Normal Operations Phase - this phase is all about alerting anyone that will be impacted by the disaster that the interruption to the systems they routinely use is over. Anyone that routinely uses a system should be able to use it again, as if the disaster never happened even though we all know it did. <grin>
Thursday, May 4, 2017
What I've Been Doing At Work
I want to state where I am with the disaster recovery documentation I am writing at work. In my opinion, the term 'disaster recovery' is as big as the world so what I want to do is to reduce it to a concept that is easily understandable. Therefore, what I have done is divided the term 'disaster recovery' into 5 phases:
Business Continuity Policy Template This template helps you define your business continuity program and associated ...