Friday, December 1, 2017

Why Microsoft Gets a Bad Rap for their Online Help

First, a picture, then an explanation.


Now what did you just look at in the above picture?
  1. I wanted to delete a style.
  2. I saw an error message with a Help button. I clicked Help
  3. I see the Word Help window and instead of showing me information even remotely related to styles, the window includes the text Results for "", which indicates that there was no parameter passed from the Help button to the help system. Thus, the first result I see in the list has NOTHING to do with deleting a style!
That is so wrong and why I, as a technical writer, can't justify a suggestion about how to access Knowledge Articles through our instance of Cherwell because I don't want to follow "the Microsoft standard" due to seeing shit like this!

No comments: