Thursday, September 19, 2013

Why I wish I had $6000 Cash in Hand

I am not rich and I discover that every time I look at Ludwig Vistalites on Craigslist. Why would I do that in the first place?

That's a good story.

I own a Ludwig Vistalite drumset. It is the only drumset I've ever owned. My parents bought it for me in 1983 (I think). The circumstances surrounding this purchase was that when I went to Harding Junior High, Max Northrup was the band instructor. There was 3rd period and 4th period band. All 7th graders were placed into 3rd period band and then, if you were a "good" musician, you were "promoted" to 4th period band when you were in 8th grade.

Except for me. I began 8th grade as a member of 3rd period band. I remember Mr. Northrup stating that if you got a C in band, you should investigate Mr. Quiano's "fine vocal program" as an alternative. In plain English, a C should be considered a F and you should get out.

Not being the sharpest tool in the box, I didn't quit band. I remember quickly becoming the 'lead' percussionist in 4th period band. I also remember that I wanted a drumset (what teenage drummer doesn't?). The arrangement / deal was made that if I was in 4th period band, my parents would purchase a drumset.

As background, there was a guy named Tim DeKlerk that came to Harding that year. Tim was a year older than me and he was a drummer. He was in 4th hour band. He got kicked out of 4th hour band for, allegedly, throwing peanuts at Mr. Northrup. He got dropped from the class, I got "promoted" and before long, my parents and I were shopping for a drumset. I remember that the three of us looked at several drumsets. I remember Todd Philpott's family was selling Todd's older brother's drumset - I think it was a Tama 5 piece - but we didn't buy it.  

Ultimately, my parents purchased the Ludwig set I still have and I used to be able to point out what house we bought it from. I don't remember what was paid, but I do remember from the first time I saw it, I was in love. The clear shells, the fact that there was a boom stand with a splash cymbal, the fact that there were two crashes in addition to the splash, the fact that it had only a single mounted tom and two floor toms, the fact that it just looked phenomenal. If time hasn't corrupted my memory of the purchase, the former owner played drums in a polka band.

Before I learned that I owned a Ludwig Vistalite set and that Ludwig had stopped making them, I did not treat my drums like collectibles. It has only been over the last 20 years that I have truly appreciated what my parents did for me. I like to search Craigslist and ebay for Ludwig Vistalites, just to see what the market price of my drumset is. Sometimes, I am blown away by what I see. For example, this drumset is on Craigslist and the asking price is $6000 - and they want "cash only." This is the entire text of the ad:

Ludwig Jellybean 9 Piece set w/lights and bags - $6000 (St Louis County)


Cash only please!
This is a like new 9 piece Ludwig Vistalite Jellybean kit. Comes with lights, than can light from 1 to all 9 drums( only 5 piece shown in pic) and the very best travel bags that Ludwig makes. All included
These drums have never left the bags. Awesome drum kit. NOT SOLD IN SEPARATE PIECES!! Only a few of these even produced.
Serious buyers call or text 314-504-8252 before 9 PM central to discuss purchase. Will not separate.
No cymbals or stands come with this kit, however the entire hardware pack is available for purchase at a separate price.
Make a reasonable offer, but this price is pretty close.
Thanks for looking.
Cash Only Please!








I would purchase this drumset if I had $6000 cash in hand. And, for what it's worth, this is the link to this ad, which is probably dead: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/4061578349.html

No comments: