Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Basketball & Grammy's

Alex had a basketball game in Mount Pleasant on Saturday. He left his jersey in the locker room. Karen and I drove down yesterday - 104 miles roundtrip - to pick it up. He had a game last night, Iowa City West was defeated in the freshman game, but victorious in the 5th quarter. Alex had a couple of nice rebounds and played well. I was happy for him.

On Sunday, January 26, 2014, Metallica is returning to the Grammy's, an awards show they have not performed on since 1989, when they performed "One" and then lost the Grammy for Best Metal Band to Jethro Tull. It was such a big deal because, frankly, the fact that Metallica had created a video for "One" was controversial. Fans wanted Metallica to remain their secret, for some reason. Then, performing on the Grammy's happened and everyone went nuts.

For me, I had not really started my love affair with Lars in January 1989. It took seeing them 6 months later in June 1989 at the Five Seasons Center before I really got into them. I think. Maybe I got into them prior to that. I kind of remember having a poster of them in my dorm room from the first day of school. Now I want to go look through my photo albums and see if I can find a picture.

In 2014, they are again going to play "One" but this time with a violist named Lang Lang. Guitarist Kirk Hammett has been quoted as saying the version of the song they are rehearsing is going to be "insane." Here's to hoping it is as awesome as the way they played the song in 1989!


No comments: