Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Through the Never

I was at Best Buy one day early. Metallica's "Through the Never" comes out on DVD today. My plan is that on the way home from going to the Iowa Hawkeyes v. MSU men's basketball game with Megan (game starts at 6), I will swing through Best Buy and pick up the DVD. I get really excited when I talk or write or think about Metallica. I really enjoy the riffs and the drumming and some of the lyrics simply make me turn into goo inside.

I will probably never forget that when I saw "Through the Never" in the theater, it was on a Monday night in October. I drove from North Liberty to the Cedar Rapids theater. I was the only one in the theater. I played my air drums and no one, except maybe the employees, saw me in my glory. It was totally fitting to be in the theater alone. Karen wouldn't go with me - and I don't blame her. I wouldn't want her to sit through something I love just to hate it. Even though it was rated R, Karen didn't approve of the idea of taking 17 year-old Megan to see it. Alex was eliminated from contention because he is 15.

Last night, WWE Raw was interesting. Read the results if you want. Coming off of the Royal Rumble the night before, I expected a great show. And, to me, it was.

  • The Internet is buzzing that John Cena is going to fight the Wyatts at Wrestlemania XXX. Judging by the way the show ended, I think that is true.
  • Golddust / Cody Rhodes got their rematch v. The New Age Outlaws. It ended with Brock Lesnar coming out and slamming each of the Rhodes brothers with a steel chair. I don't know, for sure, if that means Lesnar is going to feud with them or not. I do think Lesnar's mouthpiece, Paul Heyman, is one of the greatest heel managers of all time.
  • Even the main event was good, though it has been done before. The heel team (The Shield) fighting three faces who don't have a lot to do with each other except that they are crowd favorites. Thus, when the Shield took on John Cena / Sheamus (who returned to action at the Royal Rumble) / Daniel Bryan. Bryan, it felt like a repeat. All the crowd favorites have to do is fight. 

And, in general, there has been a lot of backlash because he wasn't put into the Royal Rumble match the night before. The storyline is that HHH and Stephanie McMahon didn't want to make him have two matches in the same night, even though he's done that before. Batista won the Royal Rumble, but it was Roman Reigns that has emerged as the real winner. He eliminated more WWE wrestlers than anyone else in a RR match. The tease is that the Shield are going to deteriorate into nothingness, but that wasn't really played up in the main event, which ended when the Wyatt Family attacked John Cena and caused a disqualification for the Shield. That means Cena / Sheamus / Bryan are in the Elimination Chamber match at the next PPV in a month. I fully expected the Shield to go after the Wyatts at the end of Raw, but they didn't.

For as tired as I was from suffering through the movie "Frozen" at 4:10, I was somewhat captivated by the storylines and how they advanced.

No comments: