Sunday, January 12, 2014

Hating a Woody

The way I see it, articles like this one are entirely and unfortunately a result of our culture where everyone is an expert and everyone knows what it's like to be a college basketball player - even those whose last experience as a basketball player was in elementary school.

That said, I am not a huge Adam Woodbury fan. I did expect his numbers to be better and I did expect a more dominant player. Instead, a common set of statistics is that he scored 4 points, had 3 rebounds, and fouled out of the game. That's not going to turn a lot of heads in the country. It was built up as being a huge asset to the future of Iowa basketball to have lured Woodbury from North Carolina. It was almost like taking a shot of a liquor that, instead of getting drunk, you absorb the following attitude: "If NC wants Adam Woodbury, he must be a dominant player" attitude instead.

I do know what it's like to be a college student, but I don't know what it's like to be a Big Ten athlete. Therefore, I can only guess about the type of pressure and daily grind Adam Woodbury goes through during the season. I know it was hard for me to be a college student *without* playing Big Ten basketball so I think it must be even more difficult to plot out the normal pressures of being away from home and learning to be an independent young man. I'm not envious.

What I would love to see is Adam Woodbury having a dominant Big 10 season. He has time to do so.

No comments: