Wednesday, January 8, 2014

More Fran

As I mentioned yesterday, Fran McCaffery was suspended for one game. Now the apologists are out in full force, comparing his unacceptable behavior to Bobby Knight and a slew of other head coaches. Sportswriter Rick Brown asks what would have happened had the last 20 years not happened until the moment that Fran got his two technical fouls. 

Here's what he said, in part:

I’m not perfect. Nobody is. I’m not going to beat myself up over it. I’m not happy about it. I’m not proud of it. Every one of us is never too old to learn, especially from your mistakes. Again, that’s what we ask our players to do every day. Every day I try to become a better coach, a better person, a better father, better husband. So it’s just part of it. I don’t feel any differently.

Now, here's a question. Why didn't he just say that at the beginning of all this? Why didn't he say this *before* his suspension for a game? Why didn't he show up to the post-game press conference and say these exact words?

Because he has a fire in his heart to be competitive and fight for his players. I've read comments on Facebook that, more or less, see validity in getting that first technical foul as a motivation tactic.

No comments: