Monday, May 2, 2016

Lars von Misses

It's a fun time to investigate the way Lars Ulrich is a human being and doesn't play every single song perfect. I think some of the playing in the video are mistakes, sure, but if I wanted to hear perfect, couldn't I just listen to the album?

And messing up during rehearsal or when trying to write a song are not really fair to be included.

Rehearsal is where you practice and writing music is all about experiencing the magic of creativity.

Performing on stage, with 1000s of fans who have studied the albums cannot be without enormous pressure.

I felt like I had to nail down certain drum parts of the songs Lou's Classic Ride and Uncle Rico the Band covered because I knew that there would likely be musicians who would know that I screwed up if I didn't nail a fill the same as the recording. Multiply the audience I played in front of by a lot more to get an idea of what Ulrich is facing. On top of that, every time he plays, there is a camera to capture the moment of being imperfect.

I think the majority of people who hate on Ulrich don't play drums or if they do, they don't play drums in front of the number of fans Ulrich does on a regular basis. To be so nieve to think that they would never EVER make a mistake on stage is a characteristic of a delusional individual.


Editor's Note - the video in question was removed from youtube.com so it is no longer available for your viewing pleasure.

No comments: