Friday, May 6, 2016

Robbie Z Says to Get High

I always have this thought when I hear the phrase "getting high" and it takes me back to 1992. I didn't wake up this AM wanting to write about Old Stew, but I put "getting high" and "Old Stew" together in my brain like salt and pepper. I'm sure I've wrote this previously on this blog, but when I played drums in Old Stew, 4/5ths of the band smoked pot. I was the 1/5th that never had any desire to even try it. In 1992, I graduated from Mount Mercy College and I knew better than to involve myself in drugs. Sure, I drank too much booze and too often I was drunk and as out of control as an individual that takes drugs, but, c'mon, who doesn't get a little wild in college? .... I had to pause so I could stop laughing about some of my wild college escapades - all of them inappropriate for permanently documenting them on this blog that is visible to the public - long enough to be able to type. It's fair to say I was a different person in 1992 than I am now.

While I certainly don't endorse the idea that anyone should get high, I do think that the Iowa Legislature should have approved the use of marijuana for medical purposes. Right now, if someone is in severe pain, that person has to go to CO, where it is legal. The Iowa Legislature failed the people of Iowa when they failed to act. I think an issue like this should not be partisan. I would challenge the Republicans to do the research and to help the people that voted for them to do actual work.

Why this extended essay about getting high, drinking booze, and such? Well, Rob Zombie's "Get High" just assaulted my ears for the first time. While I like this groove and the parts where the guitar drops out and it's just singing and a tambourine / percussion in the background, I still am just not a Robbie Z fan. I've seen him in concert, when he was the lead singer of White Zombie, though I can't recall who else was on the bill with him at this precise moment. The guitarist, John 5 (and I only know that because he was on "That Metal Show") proves he is a great guitarist. The drumming is interesting. I even like the vocal effects.


I like "Get High" better than the first single I heard:


No comments: