Monday, March 10, 2014

Skillet

Last night, I did something rare. Alex and I went to the concert at the iWireless Center in Moline, IL, and I didn't take notes in order to write a review. I simply went and enjoyed being with Alex - the music was a secondary bonus. I would describe the concert as a mini-NCYC. Every band / musician that spoke had a simple message: Jesus Christ loves you for who you are. Additionally, when Skillet took the stage, Alex was in total heaven. Skillet is his favorite band.

Later this week, I will create a separate page on this blog for the video and pictures from the concert.

Going to see Skillet last night was the cap to a perfect weekend, which included filling Alex's mind with information about drums and music. We watched the Metallica movie "Through the Never" on DVD. When he'd ask me questions, I rattled off the history of Metallica, including:
  • why they wouldn't get played on the radio
  • Mustaine's famous quote, "What time does my plane leave?"
  • "Enter Sandman" 
  • why Lars Ulrich has only two toms now because he played another set of drums (Sean Kinney's, who plays in Alice in Chains) and found that having the hihat closer was a better fit, 
  • how mesmerized I was when I heard "Hit the Lights" for the first time. 
It was a good experience to share that with him. I hope he continues to be curious about Metallica because when they tour the Midwest in the future, I plan to take both Megan and Alex to see them, not because I want to take them, but because they want me to take them to see *their* favorite band.

No comments: