Friday, December 5, 2014

Lesson Learned

I came across a band I hadn't thought about in a long time in my music collection and it brought to light that I really didn't do myself justice when I converted my CDs. The band is called "Riverfenix" and I wanted to listen to their CD. I searched for "Riverfenix" in Windows Media Player and it only found 3 songs. I knew there were more than 3 songs so I went to the actual directory in Windows and yep, there's only 3 songs. I know during all the copying and moving around of files that sometimes folders had been accidentally tucked under the incorrect subfolder so I did a search.

Three songs.

Here's where I learned my lesson. I have zero idea where my Riverfenix CD actually is. I know it's in the den, but I can't narrow it down. My physical CD collection may be too large. The CD could be on one of the 31 spindles of 100 or on one of the shelves in the main part of the room or in a stack on the bookcase in the closet.

Today, the MS DOS batch file states there are 68,032 files in my music collection. Underneath my music folder, I have 3,265 folders. The majority of those folders have multiple sub-folders. I know it's massive. And, I snicker as I type this, I haven't even converted my 1000 cassettes yet.

What am I going to do with this new lesson learned? I have no idea, but I feel like I have a huge mess.

No comments: