Monday, December 1, 2014

PRotest

I haven't read evidence that someone leaving a college class to go stand outside in Iowa City, Iowa, is going to benefit anyone in Ferguson, MO, today. Are the students really getting their money's worth by not being in a class they are paying for? What am I babbling about? Well, per Fox 28, there's a protest in Iowa City to support people in Ferguson, MO. Damn. I missed it. Here's the information:

Some students and faculty at the University of Iowa will be leaving class early today to remember the life of Michael Brown. Hands Up Walk Out Iowa City is encouraging those in the community to leave both work and class at noon today to stand in solidarity with Ferguson, Mo. The demonstration is designed for people of all racial backgrounds to come together to demand changes in the country's social system. Monday's event comes a week after a Missouri Grand Jury chose not to indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson in Mr. Brown's death on Aug. 9th. That decision set off protests in Ferguson and all across the U.S. Mr. Wilson officially resigned from the Ferguson Police Department on Saturday. Today's walk-out runs from noon-2 p.m. and will take place on the Pentacrest on the University of Iowa campus.

If I were a college professor, first, I wouldn't leave my classroom and second, if there were any students who left my class before its scheduled time to be done, I would give a 100 point test, unless a student spoke to me before class to state they were going to be leaving at that time. If they just got up and left, blamo! quiz!

No comments: