Saturday, December 6, 2014

Reconsidering the Bash

On October 7th, 2011, my friend Kevin and I went up to the Twin Cities (I always write "Twin Cities" because spelling Minneapolis is rarely done the first time I type it) to see Opeth and Katatonia, two bands I was really excited to see in person. I wrote a bash of the concert, claiming the concert was "So Mellow, Even A Wife Would Like It" while at the same time noting "His vocals, though, sounded like reproductions of the studio versions of the songs that the band played so it confirmed that he is a talented musician." I had that thought reconfirmed when I skipped my way through each of the following videos while determining whether to embed them below. Skulls and Bones assembled videos of the band playing the songs they are intending to play on their North America tour. Of course, their tour included stops in Chicago, the Twin Cities, and Omaha before heading west to Denver tonight.

I don't remember if Opeth played "Deliverance" when I saw them in 2011, but if they did, I should have better appreciated that song's inclusion. I really like how the vocals transition from death metal growls to clear as a fresh farm pond within the same song.















No comments: