Monday, January 9, 2017

Does "One-Click Automated Disaster Recovery" Exist?

I'm a pessimist. I don't believe it's ever as simple as "one click."

I've seen this type of marketing before with Help Authoring Tools (HATS) as they touted "you" can create all sorts of documentation deliverables in seconds. RoboHelp always seemed to claim this, but yeah, it's not that simple.

Case in point, my conversation with Adobe Technical Support:

From: Me
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 12:04 PM
To: 'TCS Support'
Subject: RE: [External] Sample Word Document

You wrote, “The Conversion Settings window shows the list of styles of your linked Word documents. If you will go through your linked word document and remove the style from your word document the style will still show up in the Conversion settings list.”

How do I remove a style from that list if deleting it from all of my Word documents doesn’t remove it from the list? Is there a settings file I can manually modify? I have 68 Word documents now and will surely be increasing that number in 2017 and beyond.

For example, at one time, I was going to use “DRM_” as the prefix to my Word styles. Now, I am going to use “HCIS_”. I would have hoped if I had gone into each of the 68 Word documents and deleted any style with the “DRM_” prefix, it would then no longer be on the Conversion Settings window… but you’re saying it will still be there?!?

Hoping I misunderstood …

From: TCS Support
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2017 8:52 PM

Subject: [External] Sample Word Document

Thank you for contacting Adobe.

I would like to inform you that currently there is no new version of “New Employee Checklist.docx” file available.

The Conversion Settings window shows the list of styles of your linked Word documents. If you will go through your linked word document and remove the style from your word document the style will still show up in the Conversion settings list.

Have a great day ahead.

Thanks and Regards,

From: Me
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 9:38 PM
To: TCS Support
Subject: Sample Word Document
Hi,

Do you have a version of “New Employee Checklist.docx” that is formatted with styles? The version I just downloaded from the Adobe website has a single heading and the rest in Normal style. I know this because I have a Word macro that puts the style name in front of the text. In the screen capture below, <[A]> means Heading 1 style has been applied and a <[N]> means Normal style has been applied.



I would like to see an example that shows a better example of a well-structured Word document so I can better understand the relationship between the New_Employee_Checklist.css file, the New_Employee_Checklist.htm file that is created and the RHStyleMapping.css file.

The reason I’m looking into this is because I have a Word document that is linked to my project. The files RoboHelp created are in this folder: C:\RH\HTML\DRM\Disaster_Recovery_Documentation\Department-Specific\Clinical,_Business_&_Interface_Systems_Support\IPaddresses_for_Computers:
IPaddresses_for_Computers.fpj
IPaddresses_for_Computers.css
IPaddresses_for_Computers.htm

The CSS file I want to use for all of my HTML files – whether generated for a linked Word document or authored directly in a HTML editor – is located here:
C:\RH\HTML\DRM\CSSFiles\PRH_HCIS_DRM.css

Related to this is that when I look @ my Conversion Settings window, I see a huge long list of Word styles. How is that list created? Is it all Word styles in all linked Word documents? If I were to go through all of my linked Word documents and delete a style, for example, the “AutoSig” style, would “AutoSig” disappear from this list on this window in RoboHelp?


There's a good reason for my pessimism.

No comments: