Friday, January 6, 2017

What Defines Weak

What is weak? Is it a lack of strength or not reaching expectations that were never made public? I ask this because of two emails I read just now. My Fox News email announced:
|
Employers added a weak 156,000 jobs in December, below average for 2016, and the jobless rate ticked up to 4.7 percent, according to the final monthly Labor Dept. jobs report released during Obama's presidency.
|
Oh, I thought, that is not good news to end the Obama administration. Then, I read an email from the Washington Post, which announced:
|
In final jobs report of Obama administration, U.S. economy adds 156,000 new jobs in December. The report marks the 75th straight month of job growth – the most extended streak the country has seen since 1939. The unemployment rate ticked up to 4.7 percent.
|
Keep in mind, the order. First, I read the Fox News blurb. It made me think the Labor Department jobs report is not good news for the country.  Second, I read the Washington Post blurb and it made me wonder if it really is a good report. While this post is about a topic that is "political," it is also about perspective. If I am one of the 156,000 that now has an income, what is weak about that? It's imperative to keep the audience as the focus of the writing I do every day.

No comments: