Friday, January 20, 2017

Summary of the Iowa Men's Basketball Season

The Iowa men's team was down by double digits before they came storming back to take the lead against Maryland, a ranked team, before ultimately being defeated by eight points. You can read the recap of the game here and see it in the highlight video:



I had hopes for a victory, sending a text message to my friend Brian Rock. I had asked Brian if he wanted to go to the Iowa v. NE men's game on Sunday, 2/5, because we have gone to games together over the last few years. He has been somewhat resistant, you could say, suggesting that instead of going to Carver-Hawkeye Arena, we could watch the game in a bar. I am resistant to that idea because
  1. I don't drink
  2. I think the game will be really good since the last time they played, the game went to double overtime before NE squeaked out a 3 point victory
I wrote the following to Brian @ 7:46:

Seeing how Iowa is scratching their way into the game now makes me feel like we need to see the NE game in person. They were down double digits and now lead with 4:28 left against MD who are #18 in the rankings

At 7:50, Brian wrote: It's not over

At 8:07, I wrote: Jinx

At 8:08, Brian wrote: Not this year

I am disheartened. Certainly, Fran McCaffery is too, per this article, which points out the following:

But questionable calls didn’t stop his Iowa team. Maryland did,” Medcalf added in his social media comment. “Melo Trimble did. That early 15-point hole did. Trimble looked all-Big Ten down the stretch.

So where does that leave the team? It leaves them at 3-4 in the Big Ten and a tough one upcoming next Wednesday, Jan 25 @ Illinois. I hate when they go to Champaign, IL, to play any Illinois team because it is not an easy place to play. They will take their 11-9 overall record and go to play a team that is 12-7. I will hope that the team rebounds, both figuratively and literally, when they arrive for the game in IL.

No comments: