Sunday, January 8, 2017

Purring Along

I took the plunge and purchased Carbonite, a backup solution, from Jeremy M. I had talked to him for nearly a year about purchasing it and finally sent him a check on Tuesday for $100. I received the license key last night, around 10 PM, and as I expected, I was awake @ 6:30 today. I have it installed and it's purring along, happily making the initial backup to my account except...Why is nothing easy for me when it comes to technology? 
  1. The first screenshot shows the laptop - e, t, u, w, y, & z are all external hard drives. I selected y: to be backed up. Then I selected z: to be backed up.
    • I got the second screenshot about some files & folders won't be included and clicked OK.
    • Then I see this:
    • I want to back up multiple EHDs - I have to be able to do so - so why isn't z: selectable?
      • I thought I knew. I have the y: EHD plugged directly into the laptop. The laptop has two USB slots. I use a USB splitter, which is plugged into the other slot, and allows access to the E: EHD (which is Alex's EHD I bought for his Christmas present), the T: EHD (which is currently empty), the U: EHD (which includes the W: little drive), and the z: EHD. My guess is that Carbonite doesn't see the drives connected by the splitter as separate USB connections so it balks at including them. 
        • Except that doesn't make sense. If z: is seen as a EHD that can be backed up and it's connected by the splitter, maybe it's something else.
    • I found the answer: per https://support.carbonite.com/articles/Personal-Windows-Backing-Up-Files-on-External-Hard-Drives, 
      • "With your subscription, you are only able to back up a single external hard drive to be included in your backup. If you try to back up a second external hard drive, you will receive an error message." 
  2. I can't see the two shares on my WD MyCloud drive - M & N. They are not connected via USB. I’ve already read that EHDs must be connected via USB, so I’m guessing that’s why they don’t appear as available. I want to find a solution for including them. The workaround I hope I don't have to do is to copy from the MyCloud drive to a USB-connected EHD, back it up, and then copy back out to the MyCloud drive. I would much rather not have to do that because it is a manual process.

No comments: