Thursday, January 26, 2017

How to Get Through a Tough Job Search

It was a year ago today when Paul Arens told me that my Senior Technical Writer position had been eliminated at Pearson. I remember I cried. I was angry that I was about to undertake yet another job search just as the wounds from the previous job search - April 13 - May 31, 2011 - were starting to scar over. I felt like I was going to retire from Pearson even though I knew there were going to be 4,000 layoffs before the end of 2016. When I look back at that job search, I could have used articles like this one to pull me through the dark days when I felt isolated and alone and stupid. Thankfully, I landed up at the University of Iowa and in 2 months, 3 days, I will celebrate my 1 year anniversary within HCIS.

Editor's Note: I learned earlier this month that Paul Arens left Pearson to go to ACT. There is also an unverified rumor that my former manager is selling their house and possibly moving back to the state from which she came to Iowa - again, unverified speculation.

No comments: