Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Interesting Stat

In Windows Media Player, there's a column that stores the number of times a song has been played. I was curious how many songs in my Windows Media Player library have I listened to. To do that, I needed to store which records I've listened to and which ones I have not listened to and, to do that, I used the Parental rating field to store one of two values: PlayedMoreThanOnce and PlayedNever. There is a third value that shows up - Unknown - which is a ghost record as it exists in the database but it stores no information. Strange! Given those two values, this is what I found:
 

Just for the record, this is what I see in Windows Media Player for .38 Special's "Resolution" album. I've listened to track 1 so I see this:

And for the rest of the tracks on the album that I haven't heard, I see this:

As you can see, the Parental rating column stores the number of times I've played the song, the Play count column shows the number, and the Composer column shows the spindle on which the physical CD is stored.


No comments: