Saturday, January 17, 2009

How to get Old to New

Here's my question. I have 1009 cassettes and a lot fewer records. What happens if I buy this and say buy an external HD to store all the cassette songs on and all the record songs on and then I'm done. I have converted all of my cassettes and all my records to MP3s. What do I do with the piece of equipment now? It's worthless - I'm not going to record anything on new cassette tapes and I'm not going to buy any new records. It becomes worthless.

NOW... if you could rent these things for a couple of years - and that's being realistic as far as how long it would take to do this process - and then give it back to someone else when you are done - that would be something I'm interested in. I don't want to send my cassettes and records through the mail because I don't want to take the chance anything would happen to them.

The cassettes I want to really convert are recordings of the various basement bands I was in. I would like to be able to skip ahead of the crap version of "Rock You Like A Hurricane" and go directly to the next time we tried it where we all nailed our parts (or nailed them as much as we could in 1989).

So can you rent a record-to-MP3 recorder and/or a cassette-to-MP3 recorder?

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74084.asp

http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/cassette-to-mp3.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ion-Cassette-To-MP3-Converter-TAPE2PC-74084_W0QQitemZ370145441935QQcategoryZ86535QQcmdZViewItem - $99 on eBay

And maybe, economically, I should just buy one, do the conversion, and then sell it on eBay. But I really wish there would be like a communal place that you could borrow one of these from, do the conversion, and wham! give it back. As it is right now, I wouldn't be able to handle a piece of equipment like this anyways. I would never, ever, be able to store all the MP3s this type of conversion would create. Ever. I'd have to invest in either a bunch of CD-Rs where I would burn a CD-R when I had enough MP3s to fill it and then delete the MP3s from the HD or buy a new external 1000 GB HD and put all of them on that. Either route is a lot of $ for a basement band that never heard their lead singer sing in a mic.

No comments: