Saturday, January 31, 2009

More Work = GOOD = Slippery Slope of Stuff

Work continues to be a ride of epic highs and lows. On the high side, I am comfortable with the MSI fix and have been testing it daily on my PC to make sure it still works. So far, so good.

Outside of work, my father gave me his Canyon truck and we are going to take my car to a place that will give us $200 for it. In a sign that my mother is growing older, she is not going to drive anymore. We went to the Johnson County court house yesterday morning and the truck is now mine.

I will miss the car as it was my grandma's and I will miss thinking of her each morning when I get in. I will not miss the lack of heat, air conditioning, the driver's side window not working, the 'check oil,' 'check gages' 'brake,' and 'anti-lock brake' lights lighting up when I start it up. I will not miss the dome lights not working. I will not miss the lack of a door opener face on the driver's side. The Canyon is a sharp truck and I am grateful to replace the car with a vehicle that is as sharp as it looks. The truck has a blue book value of $14000, so it's a tremendous gift.

On the low side, work continues to be crazy. Any project I get this upcoming week gets scheduled for the week of 6/29. That's five months behind in work. Yes, it's job security, but at the same time, it's absolutely crazy. As I was telling our friends last night, I am trying to do two jobs at once. The reality is that 6/29 is even later because, unfortunately, I will not work on much documentation this week. We are going to send out the Mass Release of our software and there is work for that I must do. I also have to work on some UI changes and get those out the door by Friday. There are enough of them that I cannot safely wait until Wednesday or Thursday to begin working on them - I need to start on Monday.

Super Bowl prediction? I think the Steelers will win. Not that I want them to, but that's my gut instinct. I think that both teams had good seasons and, maybe, the Cardinals are hungrier for a title because no one expected them to be where they are now. Do I really have a strong feeling for either team? No. Most of my friends are talking about Kurt Warner. He is originally from Iowa and worked his way up to where he is now. He is a Christian and has followed his principles to arrive where he will be tomorrow.

I took Alex to the Iowa v. MSU game on Thursday night. Iowa got clobbered and today they play @ IL. I expect another clobbering in Champaign. Tough year for the team. Just wait until next year...

Started watching "The Dark Knight" last night but fell asleep. Karen thought the Joker was creepy. Not a kid movie at all.

Alex has work to do - a report about Dr. Seuss - and that is the objective for the morning.

No comments: