Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Shouldn't be Surprised

Yes, I did reach 61 projects on my to do list today. I have to say it was pretty much uneventful. A program had 3 requirements. Now it has 4. I have to update a single HTML file and a single Word doc (that is then converted to PDF) in order to incorporate that project's change to the system into the documentation. I am giving myself 2 hours to do this change but I never estimate lower than 2 hours because about the time I do, I run into something unexpected.

I should be surprised, though, that I only had a $28 bill coming out of Linder Tire. I have a power steering leak and 3 places where oil is leaking. Dave said I could either put a bunch of money into a 16 year old car I bought for $5 from my grandma or I can keep an eye on the fluids and not get in a tizzy about some fluid on the ground. I vote for that second option.

I would like this car to last another 3 years, which is when the truck will be paid off. I would like it a lot if it lasted beyond 3 years so that the funds for a truck payment could be used for our daily life. It'd be nice to have an extra $500 / month, especially considering that Megan's tuition @ Regina will increase.

Not to spout off about this economy slowdown but it has definitely impacted how I think. We talked about taking the kids to the Grand Canyon. Not sure if we want to spend the money on a vacation with every thing so shaky. Case in point: my friend was laid off Monday after 12 years of loyal service. He was there longer than I've been at my employer! Granted, he worked in a different industry but the thought of being told "you no longer have a steady paycheck." Wow. I can't imagine.

Actually, I can. I worked as a temp for a company. I went to a different department to do software testing . That work is seasonal and slows down in the fall. When I accepted that job, I had asked my current manager if I could come back after it was done and was told "Yes." That was good because in the fall of 1994, I was laid off. I got a glowing letter of recommendation from my manager so it was definitely helpful to have a) the experience and b) the ability to return to my previous position. If I recall correctly, I was laid off on a Thursday and started at my previous position the next day.

But in today's economic situation and to not have a clear idea re: where the money for rent, monthly bills, and living expenses is going to come from... that must be scary as hell. That's why it's imperative that I continue to do a good job at my employer. I already feel like I'm giving more to my employer than is expected. I am a good worker and I am always trying to make the work I do better. I am pulled in multiple directions each day and asked to complete several sub-tasks throughout the day. I do not sit and write 100% of the time - I wish! I also have my other full time job to keep up with so that involves time that I would normally spend on writing. I also keep an eye on the project system and the documents that the programmers write so as to have at least an idea regarding what is coming to my department. I hate being surprised. I find it so frustrating to have decisions being made that directly affect me but to not be asked how it impacts me. Even if I don't have a better option, just to be asked is a good thing. It makes me feel that I am more than the one who has to figure out what no one else wants to deal with. There's enough of that going on that I don't need anymore.

My friend's band is playing at the local bar (Drink's) on Friday night. I think I may be able to go hear him. Some things need to fall into place, but it should be okay.

This week has definitely flown by. I can't believe tomorrow is already Thursday. I have some work that has to be released on Friday (FT Job #2) so I don't think I will be doing any writing until that is done.

No comments: