Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Father-in-Law's age + 1

I now have 70 tasks on my to do list. That includes 40 hours of work for projects that haven't even arrived in the department! I'm now scheduled through 4/20. My ultimate goal is to never be scheduled out 6 months in advance. Right now, it's only 3 months so I'm hoping that's the extent of my scheduling. 14.45 weeks of work either currently or within the next week will be sitting on my desk.

I did manage to finish the first week of work I wrote about (incorporating the changes my co-worker LMY had made) last week. This week, I was to be comparing a system to the doc but that got bumped to a lower priority. Pretty much at the end of the day yesterday, my manager and I met. She pushed what I was going to work on to later so that I could work on two projects that changed a system that has two client call reports that need to be fixed. The idea was to work on those two projects today so that the setup.exe file could be recut Wednesday AM and released later this week.

Then reality struck me between the eyes.

Today, I worked on zero documentation. I was on the phone with a client early this AM (the same one I spent time on the phone with last night at home) and then, when that issue was resolved, a client sent an e-mail with another issue so I spent some good (read: frustrating) hours on that task. By the time it was finally time to work on the doc, it was 4.

I started playing around with the system to evaluate where I needed to make changes and I barely got the RoboHelp project open before it was time to go home @ 5. The changes I have to make are not all that difficult. The issue is that there were fields added on multiple pages (this is a web app) so I have to make changes to multiple files. I also am done with fighting the way the links to graphics were being done. They were split up into a buttons and an icons directory. No longer. I am dumping them into a single "graphics" directory to make my life easier. Who remembers if a graphic is a "button" or considered an "icon" anyways? NOT ME any longer.

SO... tomorrow, assuming no other major deals creep up, I need to work on those two projects, review the client call reports, and get that system's documentation updated for a recut.

No comments: