Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Busy Week

I practiced drums for a long time last night, but didn't actually *play* drums the entire time I was in the den. Instead, there are some songs in the Uncle Rico list of songs that we are playing that are "failing" because I'm not able to play the pattern I need to play. I focused on "Johnny B. Goode" and "Two Princes." These tunes have very different feels.

First, "Two Princes" with its modern feel. Here's a drum lesson I watched to try to learn the opening fill.



But I really wanted to hear another drummer playing the "main" pattern of the tune. That's when I found this:



What's kind of funny is that the parts of the song that I have to really concentrate to play correctly are the same parts of the song that, in my opinion, he doesn't nail.

Moving on to "Johnny B Good", I found quite a few videos to watch.

This is simply a drummer playing the tune:


This is a very good cover of the tune:

This is NOT a very good cover of the tune:


If time permits, I plan to go through these two tunes again.

No comments: