Thursday, July 3, 2014

Too Many Catholics


I am Catholic. I am fully indoctrinated (ooo - big word!) in the Catholic beliefs. I could list the reasons I feel this way but my point is to provide context about this idea, not list milestones in my life that coincide with my faith in God and Jesus Christ. Yes, I would say that when anyone proclaims negative ideas about the Catholic church, I feel hairs on the back of my neck raise up a bit. I am biased in the belief that Catholicism is the set of beliefs I attempt to use to direct my life choices. Am I always successful in that? Of course not - read any post on this blog where I have captured my mistakes and failings as a husband, father, and son as evidence.

That's the reaction I have when I consider the thesis that "there are "too many Catholics" on the United States Supreme Court." That thesis, put forth by the Huffington Post, a liberal website, is within an article which was written as a reaction to the Supreme Court ruling about Hobby Lobby. Had it not been for my daily newsletter from Red State leading me to their article http://www.redstate.com/2014/07/02/huffington-post-many-catholics-supreme-court/ which is a rebuttal to that Huffington Post article, I might have never conceived this idea.

All that said, here's a link to the article for your amusement.

One thing I really enjoy about politics is the way "everyone else" is wrong. Look at this set of comments from the above article:


David Willingham · Top Commenter · Works at Retired
I have no opinion on whether a catholic or 7 should be on the court, but I have a concern when the Churches argument is presented as justification for this decision, when all of us know that nearly everyone in the Catholic Church do not practice the Church's teaching on birth control.
Dorothy Madigan · Top Commenter · Works at Retired
Have you read the lawsuit? It's not about contraception, but about the four forms of contraception that Hobby Lobby objected to as abortifacients out of the 20 which were presented. They had no objection to the others. It wasn't about preventing conception, but about continuing life after conception.

Gerald Allen · Top Commenter · Works at Living with Parkinson's and fighting everyday.
Not real oppression if they made the Supreme Court bench. Sounds like this paper is the one that wants to oppress Catholics.
But then they are the liberal news and liberals just got handed 3 blocks to there God obama.
Lars Taylor · Top Commenter · UC Berkeley
You are delusional.
Ray McGaughey · Associate Research Scientist at I can't tell you that
Lars Taylor Like so many others. They live in a different world, somehow.
Scott Randall · Top Commenter
Gerald is not only delusional, he is very under educated; you can tell by his spelling and punctuation. He is typical of so called conservatives: knows hardly anything about history, and most of what he thinks he knows he is wrong about. That goes for political theory, economics and science. He gets all his information from FOX and Limpbaugh and truly believes opinion and ideology are worth more than facts and reality. He has been religiously indoctrinated to worship the rich and have nothing but contempt for everybody not as gullible as himself. Like I said, typical conservative religious republican.

It sounds to me like Scott Randall is the one that is delusional. Is there one fact in his response? No. Where does Gerald Allen state that "he gets all his information from FOX and Limbaugh"? How does he know that? He doesn't. There's no evidence whatsoever. And to conclude that Gerald Allen is "very under educated" because of his "spelling and punctuation" seems to be trying to discredit ideas by pointing out the delivery of the idea, not have a discussion about the idea. By the way, the last I knew "republican" when referring to a proper noun ("the Republican Party") in Scott Randall's reply should be capitalized. I guess I can tell Scott Randall is "very under educated" because he doesn't capitalize a proper noun.

No comments: