Monday, July 28, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

At the Elkader theater, there is only one movie screen and this week, it is a movie Megan had seen with Logan, called "The Fault in Our Stars." It is based upon a book with the same name and, while I haven't read the book, I found this review from http://johngreenbooks.com/the-fault-in-our-stars/, which includes these reviews:
  • "A blend of melancholy, sweet, philosophical, and funny. Green shows us true love…and it is far more romantic than any sunset on the beach.” -New York Times Book Review"
  • “One doesn’t like to throw around phrases like “instant classic” lightly, but I can see The Fault in Our Stars taking its place alongside Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret in the young-adult canon. Green’s book is also a good example of why so many adult readers are turning to young-adult literature for the pleasures and consolations they used to get from conventional literary fiction.” -Time
Thus, I feel compelled to locate and then read this book.

The movie was tremendously awesome. It is probably one of the best movies I have seen in a long time because of its honesty. It deals with terminal cancer but, right from the beginning, it isn't making the disease anything beyond what it is: a terrible situation.

Proudly, I will say that I cried a lot during the movie. As I walked out of the theater, I heard a young lady tell an older lady that she almost fell asleep while watching it. I turned to them and said, "I couldn't fall asleep, I was too busy crying."

No comments: