Friday, July 8, 2016

Where I'm Not


Someday, I hope I make it to Rock Fest in WI. Look at the bands that are playing in 2016 and those that played in the past. It won't be this weekend, though, that I make it to the festival grounds. This weekend, we will be in Elkader.

I'm also not going to be watching "Independence Day: Resurgence" which is discussed in this article. The movie at the Elkader Theater this weekend is called "Free State of Jones." I'm not nearly as much of a historical movie fan as I am of super hero movies or Star Wars or the other "favorite films" I've listed elsewhere on this blog. Speaking of super hero movies, when Brad S. was over on July 4th to caulk our sliding glass door that goes from our kitchen to the patio, he mentioned that he had just watched "Deadpool" and that he thought it was good. I rented it on Tuesday night and yes, it is good. Two thumbs up.

Karen and Megan, though, were not impressed. Without getting into the long list of why they both thought the movie was dumb and the worst movie that they had ever seen, the character "Deadpool" is aware that he's in a movie. He looks directly at the camera and speaks to the audience. The first time he did that, Karen said, "Who is he talking to?" It went downhill from there. They were able to tolerate the first 23 minutes, right up until the first sex scene. Let me tell you, I'm very glad the plug was pulled, so to speak, because I really didn't want to watch that part with Megan. In any case, the movie was turned off, I went downstairs to watch it on Alex's XBox before its due date (which is Saturday [tomorrow], so I'll drop it off tonight on my way out of town), and Karen and Megan began watching the series "One Tree Hill" on Netflix. I had suggested "Orange is the New Black" but that was outvoted.

All that to say, I'm not going to see neither the Rock Fest concert nor the Independence Day sequel this weekend. I'm unlikely to see "Free State of Jones" because I just found out we are grilling steaks after 5:30 Mass and that would mean I won't be at the 7 PM show.

No comments: