Thursday, July 7, 2016

No KISSing in 2016 Because I was KISSed in 1992

On Tuesday night, I had the video at the end of this post playing in the background as I completed some basic chores around the house. It had never been my intention to listen to the entire video - who has 43:03 to waste on KISS after all - but it was one of those things - I couldn't stop listening. There are so many funny quotes in this video, but my favorite is when Paul Stanley talks about Peter Criss's inability to sing and the quip about carrying a tune in a bucket. This is jumping ahead in the video to right before Stanley says that.

As for the rest of the video, it's unlikely that I would be able to properly summarize the entire video in less than a couple of paragraphs. I have other priorities. Is it worth listening to the entire video? Perhaps if you are a KISS fan (as I am). I grew up listening to Peter Criss play drums and often cite "Destroyer" as my all-time favorite KISS release. There are always two sides to every story and I realize that. Hearing this video makes me better understand why Gene, Paul, Peter, and Ace couldn't be on the same stage together at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. Hearing all of this from Stanley's perspective makes me think about how painful it would have been to do that, especially if even a smidgen of what Stanley says is true.

On Friday, August 5, 2016, at 8 PM, KISS' "The Freedom to Rock Tour" stops in Moline, IL, with special guest Caleb Johnson (who I have never heard of). Tickets are on sale now for these prices:
  • $39.50
  • $59.50
  • $89.50
  • $125.00
While I would love to go see the band, the fact remains that I would not be seeing the original members (Gene, Paul, Peter, and Ace) at that concert - I'd be seeing Gene & Paul & Eric Singer & Tommy Thayer. While that in and of itself would be awesome - after all, we are talking about the legendary KISS - I am thinking that I've seen Gene & Paul in concert before so it's not the highest priority to see them again. It was back on November 15, 1992, on the Revenge tour. It's funny whenever I think about that concert.
  • Earlier in the day, Kyle Oyloe (RIP brother) and I drove to Urbana. I was auditioning to play drums in a band and Kyle was going to play guitar. By the way, at the audition, I could not play "Sunshine of Your Love," which is why I was adamant about adding that tune to the set list in Lou's Classic Ride - I wanted to redeem myself from that audition.
The bottom line is that I'm unlikely to ever see KISS in concert again. Out of the 16 tunes they played in Tuscon on the first night of the tour, I've heard them play 8 of the songs before, if the setlist on Wikipedia is to be believed:

1992 Set list

  1. Creatures of the Night
  2. Deuce
  3. I Just Wanna
  4. Unholy
  5. Parasite
  6. Heaven's on Fire
  7. Domino
  8. Watchin' You
  9. Hotter Than Hell
  10. Firehouse
  11. I Want You
  12. Forever
  13. War Machine
  14. Rock and Roll All Nite
  15. Lick It Up
  16. Take It Off
  17. Strutter
  18. I Love It Loud
  19. Detroit Rock City
  20. Shout It Out Loud
  21. God Gave Rock 'n' Roll to You II
  22. Love Gun
  23. Star Spangled Banner

2016 Set list for the Tucson concert:

  1. Detroit Rock City
  2. Deuce
  3. Shout It Out Loud
  4. Creatures of the Night
  5. War Machine
  6. Psycho Circus
  7. Calling Dr. Love
  8. Shock Me
  9. Cold Gin
  10. Lick It Up
  11. I Love It Loud
  12. 100,000 Years
  13. Love Gun
  14. Black Diamond
    Encore:
  15. Beth
  16. Rock and Roll All Nite

Well, let's see, have I stuck to my guiding principle at work when I write technical information that each page should have a single topic? Nope! I give myself a pass. Anyways, after all of that, here is the 43:03 minute video where Paul Stanley talks about being in a band with Peter Criss.

No comments: