Thursday, August 31, 2017

About Politics and Such

I gave up on Get Your Political Opinions 2.0 after a month. At the time, I stated I wasn't interested in keeping up with all that was happening. And, because I always write honestly on this blog, that was true at that specific moment in time.

Starting tomorrow, I will resume posting political items on a single page.

What changed my mind?

I looked at the posts I had in August 2017 and saw I tagged 29 posts "politics" and "Republican tendencies" in August 2017.

In looking back, I now realize that I never wasn't interested in politics / my Republican tendencies - I just didn't feel the drive / urge to devote the time to maintaining a single page. I think I thought I would be reducing the number of posts about politics in the coming weeks.

Obviously, that didn't happen. While I'm all for having a 'good' number of posts per month, it feels shallow when there is slightly over 1/4 of my total posts having the same tags. I also am not really a political 'mastermind' meaning I don't have a lot of original thoughts regarding politics. I have my opinions but a majority of the time, I link or embed someone else stating an opinion I agree with. I often wonder how people got into my head to know "That's what I was thinking!"

This has opened a bigger can of worms. Seeing the as-of-this-monent "Top 10 tags" on this blog causes me to pause. Here are the top 10 tags as of this moment.:



I wondered if there would be value in creating a page for each of those 'primary' interests and posting all of those posts on a single page. Wouldn't it be nice to not have to dig around for the 589 times I wrote about Metallica? I don't see how I can really do that, though. In the past, on the same post that I used "Metallica" as a tag, I likely used "Videos" as a tag. Would that post, with both tags, then go on the hypothetical "Videos" page or the hypothetical "Metallica" page? I would NEVER put that post on both pages as that would break every rule of single-sourcing - to copy / paste content from one page to another. I also am uninterested in shaping the words I write on this blog by the labels I am using. That seems very wrong.

Today, though, I am focusing on writing 13 posts today. I want to do that so when I write my first blog post in September 2017, it is the 5001st post on this blog. Yep! I'm within striking distance of hitting 5000 published posts today, Thursday, August 31, 2017. I use 3/18/2008 as my first blog post (because I took that long break between post #1 & post #2) so, from that day to today is 3453 days.



Assuming I hit 5000 posts today, I will have averaged 1.448 posts a day since I started. That means, at that same pace, I will reach my 10,000th post on Monday, February 15, 2027, when I am 57 years, 2 months, 1 week, 4 days old. It's in 20892 days.
Editor's Note: Thanks to http://unitconverter.io/days/years/3453 for helping me out with the date calculation.

No comments: