And today, on that anniversary, another family is dealing with the pain of losing a loved one. For one family, it doesn't really matter that the two women who passed away were Hollywood icons. I can only imagine the pain for Fisher's family must be intense. Carrie Fisher passed away on December 27th at age 60 and, one day later, Debbie Reynolds, her mother, passed away the next at age 84.
I'm not trying to be insensitive, but on-screen, I don't know what the Star Wars franchise does now, with 2 of the 6 core members of the "heroes" no longer available. They are left now with Chewbaaca, Luke Skywalker, R2-D2, and C-3PO. Sure, the franchise is about the Skywalker family, but Luke's role in Episode VII amounted to a cameo at the end of the movie. I'm fairly certain Princess Leia is in "Star Wars VIII," which has already wrapped up shooting for its December 15, 2017, release.
I had considered not including the above paragraph in the same post as "announcing" the death of Fisher and Reynolds until I saw how, in this day and age of being politically correct, it seems as though others are being equally insensitive. I do recall seeing Steve Martin and Carrie Fisher together over the years and, after posting a tribute to his friend, Martin has taken a bullet for this tweet:
"When I was a young man, Carrie Fisher was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. She turned out to be witty and bright as well,"
Martin, 71, then deleted the tweet but not before others saw it. One reaction was this:
"Seriously @SteveMartinToGo quit being such a jerk for thinking Carrie Fisher was beautiful and saying so on the occasion of her death."
Martin quickly deleted the message and declined to pen another post about the late actress.
I'll pass on discussing whether Martin's comment is sexist (it's not) and let the world mourn.
- For more information about Carrie Fisher and her role in Episode VIII, refer to All of Carrie Fisher's scenes have already been filmed for 'Star Wars: Episode VIII'
- For more information about why fans adored Carrie Fisher, refer to these 17 Carrie Fisher Quotes That Will Inspire Your Success and Happiness.
- For more information about Debbie Reynolds' death, refer to Debbie Reynolds dies one day after daughter Carrie Fisher passes
- For more information about the deleted tweet, refer to Steve Martin Deletes Tweet About Carrie Fisher After Backlash — Read What He Wrote.
- For more information about Steve Martin being crucified, refer to Steve Martin's tribute to Carrie Fisher deemed 'sexist'