Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Ten Albums I Listened to A Lot in 2016: #08 - Huggie Tree Mix

In the summer of 2016, I learned a band from Iowa City was auditioning drummers. I was one of a handful that auditioned. I auditioned on a Monday night and thought the audition went well. I listened to the recording I made of the audition on the way home and felt reconfirmed. Unfortunately, no, I wasn't selected. I will not allow myself to beat myself up about it any more because, well, God knows what he is doing. To prepare for that audition, I listened to all of the songs on the band's set list, living and breathing those tunes. It is a setlist which Karen absolutely despised - she thought the tunes were only ones that a tree hugger would like. Because this band did not have a name and because of Karen's description, for my own purposes, I named them "Huggie Tree" so I could just call them "something" when writing about them.

This is the playlist I made for my audition prep, which includes the following tunes:
  1. Dead Flowers Rolling Stones
  2. Son Volt - Windfall
  3. So Sad About Us - The Who
  4. Jackson - Lucinda Williams
  5. (Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes - Elvis Costello
  6. The Psychedelic Furs - Pretty In Pink
  7. Jayhawks - Settled Down Like Rain
  8. John Wesley Harding - Save A Little Room For Me



Notes from the Editor:
  • Including an album in this Top Ten list should not imply an endorsement of the album as being "good" - nothing in the title of these posts states that these are "Ten GOOD Albums I Listened to A Lot in 2016". Pay attention to details. 
  • Also, this is a post in a series of 10 that began being published at 7:30 PM on 12/28. The #1 album will be posted at 11:59 PM on 12/28. This is the schedule:
    1159 - 1
    1129 - 2
    1059 - 3
    1029 - 4
    0959 - 5
    0929 - 6
    0859 - 7
    0829 - 8
    0759 - 9
    0729 - 10

No comments: