Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Styles in Text

I have been fighting with Microsoft Word styles for what feels like an eternity. In each of my files that are linked to my Disaster Recovery project in RoboHelp, I started running Macmillan Tools > Style Report, which generates a text file but to better analyze what I have, I wanted to combine the text files into a single file, but I also wanted to know the file name and have some sort of a divider between the files.

Enter google. I entered


which led to this page:


I read this, which, yes, it is hard to read:


which has this answer:


Because I may want to use the commands within the DOS batch file in the answer, here it is:

@echo off
for /r %%i in (*.txt) do (
if not %%~nxi == output.txt (
echo %%~nxi >> output.txt
type "%%i" >> output.txt
echo. >> output.txt
echo =================================================================== >> output.txt
)
)

I also downloaded the mentioned text file merging tool - txtcollector because I have a lot of text files on my external hard drive that I would like to combine using it.

But not right now.

Right now, I need to focus. My status review meeting with my manager is at 1 today and I need to get some work done with some of the Word documents so I can show him my progress.

No comments: