Again, I'm happy where I am!
ACT is an independent, not-for-profit organization that provides a broad array of assessment, research, information, and program management solutions in the areas of education and workforce development. Each year, ACT serves millions of people in high schools, colleges, professional associations, businesses, and government agencies—nationally and internationally.
Learn more at act.org!
Position objective: The Technical Editor II applies knowledge of editorial and quality control practices to maintain consistency and continuity of the work completed within ACTNext, Research, and Test Development for all scientific papers submitted for publication. An individual in this position implements current trends and practices in editing and quality control relative to the field of learning and assessment. The Technical Editor also manages the production and technical quality of designated high-priority projects and materials and serves as a technical advisor for other projects.
Typical work-related activities include:
- Edit, proofread, and maintain quality control of scientific papers
- Manage priorities and maintain schedules under tight deadlines
- Coordinate project workflow, including assigning the papers to reviewers, and managing the schedule of the reviews
- Examine final products for accuracy, consistency, and quality
- Coordinate changes that result from review of proofs and printed copies
- Assist in developing and maintaining consistent editorial standards of style and format
- Execute special projects as assigned
- Maintain production logs independently
- Contribute to and apply style guidelines; act as an editorial consultant
- Recognize and edit technical terms and jargon for various audiences
- Maintain security of test and ancillary materials
- Maintain knowledge of current trends and practices in editing and quality control
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with ACT staff and clients
- Collaborate with researchers/authors of the papers to ensure that the scientific meaning is preserved
- Collaborate with publishers
- Coordinate the publishing process of authored and edited volumes
- Serve as a point of contact for outside researchers who contribute to edited volumes or papers led by authors from ACT
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area required; preferably in English
- Master’s degree preferred
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired
- Minimum of three years' professional editing experience required which includes working with scientific papers and publications
- Minimum of two years' project management/coordination experience required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- APA and Chicago styles
- EndNote and similar systems for references
- Book production
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Innovative thinker
- Excellent collaborator
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality regarding corporate information
REPORTS TO: Director, Business Technology & Communication
COMPENSATION: Starting salary commensurate with qualifications. Excellent benefits and work environment.
Wednesday, December 14, 2016
But... It's Washington DC
Per Glassdoor, if you have 20 years experience and work as a Technical Writer in Washington DC, you can earn between $100,300 - $105,300 (source) to which I respond, "But who the hell wants to live in that city?!? Not me. I'm perfectly content to sit where I sit and to be thankful that I am not still on the job search that began 10 months, 2 weeks, 3 days or 322 days (46 total weeks ago). That would really suck. As a side note to that thought, early in my job search, I was hopeful about a Technical Editor position at ACT. I had a phone interview but not an in-person interview. Ultimately, the recruiter told me that they had hired a person that had worked with the department previously. I was fine with that and didn't really lose sleep about it. Anyways, 46 weeks later, guess who is advertising for a Technical Editor position? Yes, ACT! Read the job description below.
Former METALLICA Bassist JASON NEWSTED Selling Montana Ranch For $5 Million
The 2016-2017 Iowa Hawkeyes men's basketball squad ended their season with a trip to the NIT Tournament. As a flashback, the 2013 team d...
I had sent a link to my videos page in response to an ad on Craigslist and then got a response. Here's the ad: | We are in the process...
While I await the announcement that Metallica is going to play in Iowa, I will celebrate another huge tour that includes a date in Iowa. I a...