Friday, January 6, 2017

Going the Direction You Want with an Elevator Speech

I "passed" student teaching in fall 1991 as far as I received 12 credits for the hell I went through, but sometimes I face the reality that I "failed" student teaching. I can sugarcoat the reasons for either perspective all I want - and have for decades - in my private journal, but the bottom-line remains this: I didn't teach more kids than I did teach. That means that I had the means to teach every student in every class I taught, but the number of kids I didn't connect with is greater than the number of kids I did connect with and, of course, no, I don't have numbers to put with the rabid beast living within me that makes me feel that way.

I only mention student teaching because I came upon an article about being prepared to give an elevator speech. When I read the following passage, I felt tears in my eyes:

In my experience, the first few minutes of any class are the most crucial. And it's the first 30 seconds of those first few minutes that set the tone for your entire class. During those first 30 seconds, you as the instructor need to deliver a rock-solid, well rehearsed introduction to your class. This introduction is often referred to as an elevator speech. Never heard of an elevator speech? Think about getting on an elevator and running into a person that you've been dying to work for your entire adult life. That person engages you in a conversation and asks you what you can do to help their company. There it is... the job of your dreams. If you say the right thing now, the job is yours. Ramble on, stammer... fail to establish credibility and you're done. You've got 30 seconds before the elevator ride is over. By that time, your future boss needs to know everything they need to know to hire you. Ready? Set? Go... When you're teaching a class, those first few moments are your time to shine, to establish yourself as the authority. You are telling your students not just who you are, but why they should listen to you... why they should want to learn from you.

I didn't have an elevator speech. I rambled on, I stammered, I failed to establish credibility, and yes, essentially, I was done.
Read more here: The Elevator Speech: Possibly the Most Important 30 Seconds of Any Class

No comments: