Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Missed The Game

Karen & I went to Solon to watch West Delaware play Solon in boy's basketball because Brad & Denise's son, Drew, plays on the West Delaware team. West Delaware won. I got to see Jake Koons, a football recruit for the Iowa Hawkeyes, play.

I'm glad they won for these reasons:
  1. Peter Jok sat out the game because of his back injury
  2. I purchased tickets for Sunday's rematch with Nebraska at Carver-Hawkeye Arena for Brian Rock and I - I wanted them to be on a winning streak (2 victories out of the last 2 games, both without Peter Jok


I'm hoping Sunday's game is another victory. This is the time of the year when teams need to find their groove - it's certainly not November anymore - as the Big Ten Tournament approaches. The victory last night was their first road win in the Big Ten - they lost all previous 5 road games - and while Rutgers is not Wisconsin, any road win helps their confidence and the slim hope that they will make the NCAA tournament. They have 8 total games remaining, 4 of them on the road at tough opponents - MN, MSU, MD, and WI - which means NONE of those games will be easy. Iowa needs to continue to groove - with or without Peter Jok - in order to make it to the NCAA. Otherwise, they will likely play in the NIT. They are 13-10, 6th in Big Ten, so I see them as right on that bubble of getting in. Maybe they end up playing a play-in game before making the Big Dance.

No comments: