Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Against

While not directly stating this point, what I take away from this interesting article about the Catholic church is that when the Pope, a human being, makes a choice, it's not a given that all other human beings will agree with that choice, even the members of the Catholic church. Freewill, that blessing and curse that I believe God gave us, is never free - there's always a price. By far, the best example of freewill is when Jesus chose to be crucified. I wish I could take credit for that idea but I can't. I heard a homily or read some article recently that gave me this idea and since then, I've been meditating sporadically about it. There's this burning and unquenchable idea in my head that Jesus realizing choice is the most significant part of the Easter season. It's the question that I wrestle with daily - choose to do God's will or choose to not do God's will. Jesus had the exact same choice about his crucifixion. He must have thought, at some point, either I sneak out of this garden because I know those soldiers are coming for me or after I am nailed to a cross, which is really going to hurt A LOT, I die. Unfortunately, I don't have a profound answer to the question, "Is the article about the Pope's decision fair and balanced or slighted in order to reinforce the author's point?" Only the readers of the article can choose. Freewill strikes again. 

No comments: