Sunday, March 8, 2015

Ideal Band 2015

Damn, this looks like fun!



The above is a band that is based in California - no, I'm not moving from Iowa to CA - but look at the energy bouncing from drums to bass to guitar to drums in a full circle of fun!

I've spent the last few minutes looking at the local Craigslist ads, scouring for my ever-elusive Ideal Band and, flat-out, I'm not finding it, which really sucks. I feel like my chops that I gained from all those rehearsals with Uncle Rico the Band are slipping away. Even if I were to woodshed in the den and pound through all the songs on the URtB setlist every day for a week, I don't feel like my skills would be up to where they were on 8/24/14, when we played at the Iowa City Elk's Club.

I admit, freely and fully, that I miss playing drums in Uncle Rico the Band. I miss the energy that we often had in the practice room at Gary's house. The saddest part about URtB is that we had worked so hard to get to having 45 tunes that we actually played well. Some of the rehearsal recordings are like an audio orgy of awesomeness; certainly, the actual lone gig we played was good. I listen to it on my phone on my way from UIHC to work. I smile a lot as I listen. I could sit down and point out specific things during specific songs where I didn't play correctly or where one of the others didn't play correctly. I miss the hard work and hours I put in between rehearsals in my attempt to nail down my parts. I long for a regular rehearsal schedule whereby I can make music with like-minded bandmates.

That is why I will continue to check the Musicians page on Craigslist and hope that some band I either know or don't know posts that they need a drummer to step in and rock.

No comments: