Thursday, March 26, 2015

Smug

I am not being smug when I link to this article about Bowe Bergdahl, the US soldier that, months ago, was traded for 5 Taliban members. While I know I posted a lot of links about the whole "Duck Dynasty" controversy, I don't have the same attachment to Bergdahl. I remember thinking that it was good to do what the United States could do to get one of our armed forces 'back' mainly because I know I wouldn't last a day in any armed forces basic training - I know I've mentioned that elsewhere. My perspective is firmly rooted in this phrase from the article - "it would have been irresponsible to leave a man behind" - because while I don't have firsthand knowledge of basic training, I have seen enough minutes of various military documentaries - and no, "G.I. Jane" and "MASH" are not documentaries - about military life. In the Big Picture, should we be negotiating with terrorists? No, of course not. In the Small Picture, it wasn't about the Big Picture - it was about a soldier. I know I have zero credibility about the subjects of the military and what makes the United States "powerful" or "weak" on the world stage. Maybe I shouldn't have even wrote a single word about Bowe Bergdahl. After all, I have not walked a single step in his shoes. See, I don't even know if the military - ever - wear shoes or if they always wear boots.

No comments: