Saturday, March 28, 2015

Hello Mr. Garvin

Before introducing Mr. Garvin, this is kind of a funny tidbit. While researching a band, I came across a link to another band named Zao. On the Wikipedia page for Zao, the article begins like this:

Zao /ˈzeɪ.oʊ/[1] is a metalcore band from Parkersburg, West Virginia. Founded in 1993, Zao has hosted several musicians and endured numerous roster changes to the point where no original members remain. Former drummer Jesse Smith , singer Daniel Weyandt, and guitarists Scott Mellinger & Russ Cogdell are seen by most fans as the "core" of Zao.

Some might read the text I put in bold/italic and be surprised, but I'm not. A band is a living organism and because it demands
Officially, I am a Living Sacrifice and, by extension, a fan of Lance Garvin. It's really cool when your 16 year-old turns you on to a band you've never heard of previously. Alex introduced me to them a short while ago. They are a Christian death metal band and when Alex heard it, he recognized double bass in the song. YES!! My son is a drummer!! Success!! Living Sacrifice came up after Skillet, his favorite band, on youtube.com so, before he left with Megan for working in the West High theater from 9 - 2 and then at Fareway from 5 - 10, he had me pull them up on youtube.com. The video below demonstrates why Lance Garvin has it going on behind the drums!



And yes, my standard criticism of death metal bands remains true: I'm not a fan of the vocal style so, as I've trained my ears to do, I zero in on the outstanding drums of Mr. Garvin.

No comments: