Sunday, March 1, 2015

WinHelp Revisited

I am going through a directory full of DOS batch files and deleting files that are no longer necessary.

I just came across one, with a modified date of 7/11/2004. Before pasting the contents of the file below, 2004 was perhaps the height of the time I have spent in my career with WinHelp. I became somewhat accustomed to the use of DOS batch files as a way to manipulate files and their location. When I found out that I could write a DOS batch file that would compile my 100 WinHelp files - instead of spending a lot of time - 100 projects x 5 minutes each = 500 minutes divided by 60 minutes in an hour would mean 8.33 hours required to compile my projects - a day at work. Thus, by writing a DOS batch file, I drastically cut down on the time that I needed to devote to that task.

At home, I was creating multiple WinHelp projects for my personal use. I was preoccupied with the WinHelp file format; I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen in my life. I had a lot of content to organize and the following files were how I did that. Unfortunately, I do not think I have a backup of these personal projects anymore - they were on a hard drive that I can no longer access. I spent many hours creating the following files:
  1. Glossary.hlp, for storing information about various people in my life.
  2. Career.hlp, for storing information about my career.
  3. Jokes.hlp, for storing various funny jokes and cartoons.
  4. 200 Days.hlp. The 200 Days journal series has 4 volumes. 
    1. Volume I - the 200 days prior to our wedding day on 8/7/93
    2. Volume II - the 200 days prior to our first wedding day on 8/7/94 
    3. Volume III - the 200 days prior to our first wedding day on 8/7/95
    4. Volume IV - the 200 days prior to our 20th wedding day on 8/7/13 (for the record, WinHelp was a dead technology before I reached my 20 year anniversary of being married)
  5. Music.hlp, for storing music reviews, concert reviews, and anything related to music.
  6. Essays.hlp, for storing any essays I was writing at the time.
  7. Songs.hlp, for storing the 18 volumes of songs and lyrics I had created in spiral notebooks and then transcribed.
  8. Email.hlp, for storing emails (which were new at the time) in a consolidated place.
  9. Wrkjrnl.hlp, for storing information related to my career, but specific to my employer(s) that were either current or recent.
  10. prhmusic_master.hlp. This was what was referred to as a "master" project. Its purpose was to maintain links to the other .hlp files. This was the file that was opened in order to view the other 9 files - I know I had a shortcut to it so I could access it quickly.

So here are the contents of the DOS batch file that I used to compile my personal projects.

cd\
cd C:\Progra~1\RoboHe~1\Compil~1\WinHelp\
hcrtf c:\prhmusic\glossary\glossary.hpj
hcrtf c:\prhmusic\career\career2.hpj
hcrtf c:\prhmusic\jokes\jokes.hpj
hcrtf c:\prhmusic\200_Days(all)\200days.hpj
hcrtf C:\Prhmusic\music\music.hpj
hcrtf c:\prhmusic\essays\essays.hpj
hcrtf C:\Prhmusic\songs\songs.hpj
hcrtf c:\prhmusic\email\email.hpj
hcrtf c:\prhmusic\master\prhmusic_master.hpj
hcrtf c:\prhmusic\career\wrkjrnl.hpj
REM | After compiling, copy the .hlp and .cnt to c:\prhmusic so it can be accessed.
copy c:\prhmusic\200_Days(all)\200days.hlp c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\200_Days(all)\200days.cnt c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\career\career2.hlp c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\career\career2.cnt c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\email\email.hlp c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\email\email.cnt c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\essays\essays.hlp c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\essays\essays.cnt c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\glossary\glossary.hlp c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\glossary\glossary.cnt c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\jokes\jokes.hlp c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\jokes\jokes.cnt c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\master\prhmusic_master.hlp c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\master\prhmusic_master.cnt c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\music\music.hlp c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\music\music.cnt c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\songs\songs.hlp c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\songs\songs.cnt c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\email\email.hlp c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\email\email.cnt c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\career\wrkjrnl.hlp c:\prhmusic
copy c:\prhmusic\career\wrkjrnl.cnt c:\prhmusic


No comments: