Thursday, November 20, 2014

And then the Bells Tolled

Metallica chose to play "For Whom the Bell Tolls" on The Craig Ferguson Show during their week-long residency. I am chuckling because when I posted Tomi Paldanius acoustic cover of the same song, I didn't know that was the song Metallica would include. I got up today to learn that they had selected that same song. I'm unable to stay up until 11:30 PM and stay awake, watching television, until they play at 12:25 AM. Yes, I'm getting old.

I'll go out on a limb and make a prediction. I think they will play "Seek and Destroy" on Thursday's episode and then play "Enter Sandman" on Friday's episode. Personally, if it were up to me, I would choose "Enter Sandman" for Thursday and play a brand-new song - a world premiere - that will be on their next release and then make a studio version of that song available on iTunes immediately after the show. I would also make an announcement regarding the release date of the album that they are working on and announce a date on which they will announce their concert tour plans for America. This seems like a logical prediction because on their 2014 tour, they played "The Lords of Summer" which is a new song. I don't think they will play that on the Craig Ferguson show because of its 8 minute length, which seems to be roughly double the amount of time they play each night.

For as big of a band as Metallica is, Metallica should've negotiated to play at least 10 songs over the week. They should have played two songs a night. They could have them kick off the show each night and then end the show. They could have played the short songs they have already played - "Hit the Lights," "Fuel," and "For Whom the Bell Tolls" - at the beginning of the show and played one of their longer songs at the end of the night. For those, I would have selected "Harvester of Sorrow," "One," "Seek and Destroy", "The Lords of Summer", and then as the 10th song, play something from the new album that they are recording. Lars has stated that they are in the 4th inning of the recording process so that's over 1/2 way. They haven't announced any plans for releasing it, for touring the states, or any of that so why not take advantage of the opportunity to generate interest in what they have planned for the future?

Regardless of what I would do, here's Metallica playing "For Whom the Bell Tolls" from last night.





And I returned to Tomi Paldanius' page. He has played quite a few songs listed here so I think I will continue to enjoy his music not only today but well into the future.



No comments: