Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Internet Regulation

Today's Morning Briefing email newsletter announced "Post-election, Barack Obama endorses far left extremism at FCC" and included this link to an article about the latest President Obama misstep. The article is somewhat inflammatory as it uses the feared phrase "Obamacare for the Internet" and cites that that is what Ted Cruz called it.

I was ready to dismiss this article as pure sensationalism from a party who seems to only stand against whatever Democrats suggest when I read this: "A great site covering the lies surrounding the Net Neutrality/Title II Reclassification agenda is Don’t Break the Net." Ever curious, I went to that site and skimmed the information that it contains.

While I will still tag this post as "Republican Tendencies," I must confess that the Republican political party needs to define a clear message. They now control the Congress after last week's election so they need to treat the Democrats how they wanted to be treated over the last 6 years of the Obama administration. Authentic bipartisan cooperation will make a difference in our country's direction. I sincerely hope that Congress doesn't use the next two years to play politics and send bills to the President that they know will be vetoed just to build a list of what he would not sign into law and why having a Republican president would have benefited me, as a citizen of the United States.

Of course, it's always easy to be personally invested in what you do and, in my opinion, that's the problem. To "fix Washington", I believe those currently in office need to get out. Vote them all out - both parties. I actually liked what I read the other day when Governor Scott Walker (Wisconsin) said that the Republican party needs to look to its 31 Republican governors as potential 2016 presidential candidates and as a way to separate themselves from the way our government has governed. I find credibility in that line of thinking. I hope it comes to fruition.

Back to the sensationalized headline about the president's endorsement of the "far left extremism at FCC", I also hope that those publications that lean right also dial back the sensationalism. Yes, that gets me to read their articles, but it also serves as a point of disappointment when I realize I'm being manipulated so that I am "fired up" about the Republican party in the same way the Democrats "fired up" their party's base during the current president's first campaign. In my opinion, because the Republicans have sought to distance themselves from the way the Democrats do things over the last 6 years, they should actually do things differently.

No comments: