Thursday, November 13, 2014

Status of this Blog

To summarize, I expect to reach 2000 posts in a short 13 days. 

This will mean nothing to anyone but myself, but I think it's kind of cool. I had plotted out to reach my 2000th post by 12/31/2014 with the idea that I would start 2015 with my 2001st post. Instead, due to some higher than expected activity over the last couple of months, I'm now zeroing in on Wednesday, November 26, 2014, as the day on which I will reach 2000 posts. What's so special about November 26th?

It is the 7 year anniversary of this blog and when I wrote my first post. In days, it will be 2557 days and with 2000 blog posts, my percentage is at 78.216%. That's really not a fair statistic, though, because I waited 113 days before I posted my second blog post on March 18, 2008. If I take out those 113 days, I'm at a slightly better 81.833%, but the way I see it, a first step is a first step.

To document how I think, I briefly considered deleting that first post and making 3/18/2015 my "blog anniversary" date. My whim of an idea was to write like crazy over the next 125 days and to reach 3000 posts on my 7 year anniversary. Doing the math, that's only averaging 8.224 posts a day. Because I like round numbers, rounding up 8.224 to 9 (yes, I know 4, 3, 2, & 1 mean you round down but if I did in this case, I wouldn't reach 3000 posts on my anniversary date) means I'd reach 3097 posts total on the 7 year anniversary. That number, 3097, is stupid to have as a goal. Who would think it's "great" to say that they wrote 3097 posts in 7 years. Not me.

It is intriguing, though, to reach 10,000 posts by the 10 year anniversary of this blog. If I were to attempt to reach that milestone, it would mean I would need to write an average of 7.213 posts a day, beginning today through Sunday, November 26, 2017. That's not a realistic goal when I consider that given I reach 2000 posts on 11/26/2014, my average number of posts per day comes out to 1.278. I can't say I believe I have enough content within me to write an average of 7.213 posts a day. The only way I would be able to do that would be to pick 7 subjects and to religiously post something about each of those subjects every day. Off the top of my head, I'd pick:
  1. Family News
    • My kids
    • Karen
    • my parents & brother
    • all in-laws
  2. Work
    • What projects am I working on
    • Who are my co-workers
  3. Music
    • my music collection
    • my favorite songs
    • my favorite bands
    • my recent concerts
    • my recent drum activity
  4. Faith
    • going to Mass at Saint Thomas More
    • my journey
  5. Movies
    • analysis of my favorite movies
    • analysis of recently viewed movies
    • analysis of upcoming movies
And then I draw a blank. That's pretty much all that's going on in my life. Most of those subjects have value as "subjects" for writing, but I also view the majority of them as being private and more suitable for a personal, not-published-to-the-Internet journal.

To summarize, I expect to reach 2000 posts in a short 13 days.

No comments: