Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Valor

I have never considered being in the military. I am a wimp. You know the scene at the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indiana Jones has to jump across a chasm, barely makes it, and pulls himself up on a vine? I would have gone into the chasm. I cannot remember ever being able to do even a single pull up in gym class. There was a rope at Pierce Elementary and if you climbed to the top of the rope, which was attached to the ceiling, you could join the "Monkey Club", which was a poster that was taped with yellow masking tape to the brick gym wall. Heck, that same type of rope was available by the pool at Kennedy High School; I couldn't climb the rope in high school. I don't think I even was able to bench more than 90 pounds, but that was the highest number I remember being able to bench press.

I mention all of this not so I have a chaperone when walking by a ledge who is strong enough to pull my weight up from over the ledge and make out like a hero. I mention all of this because I do not know for sure, but I would suspect that every member of the military is able to pull their body weight up if they were to find their person hanging over a ledge. Because I know they do what I cannot do, I am so grateful for their service to our country. And for that, I give you Metallica playing at the Concert for Valor yesterday.



No comments: