Thursday, August 18, 2016

Aggravating Part 02

From: Manminder
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2016 6:20 AM
To: Me
Subject: RE: Question

[snip]
Strange, I have tried the same thing and on my end and it works fine.

This could be something specific to TOC or the project, did you try creating a new TOC and see if it causes the same issue or not.

And there is no such limit to number of Doc files linked within a Adobe RoboHelp Project, I have tried fair amount of documents and it worked pretty decent. But in order to maintain and render so many documents I would recommend a machine with a good tech specs otherwise the performance might got at stake.


From: Me
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:32 PM
To: Manminder
Subject: RE: Question

[snip]...if I drag a folder to the TOC pane, should the TOC that is created always be in alphabetical order?

I had observed that an easy way to create a TOC for all these Word docs was to drag the Word files into a folder under the Project Files section and then drag that folder to the TOC pane. That works really slick.

However, what I noticed (also) is that if I create the TOC, drag more Word files to the same folder in the Project Files section, and then drag that folder to the TOC pane, the TOC is not being created not in alphabetical order.

Here’s some screenshots to better illustrate what I am questioning.

This first one shows that I have dragged some Word files to the “Information” folder under the Project Files section. I then created the TOC by dragging the “Information” folder to the TOC pane. Also, notice that the “Domain Name Services.docx” is not in the “Information” folder:

Here’s where things get bumpy. The following screenshot shows what I see after I have dragged the “Domain Name Services.docx” Word file to the “Information” folder and then create the TOC by dragging the “Information” folder to the TOC pane:

As you can see, the “Domain Name Services” book is created at the bottom of the TOC, after “VOALTE”.

So that’s my issue / question / trouble I’m having. Any insight you can provide is appreciated. I will have many Word docs that are linked to from this RoboHelp project so if this is the way it’s going to work, then I will need to plan accordingly. And just for my own knowledge, is there a known limit of Word docs that can be linked to within a RoboHelp project? I ask this because of what I discussed with a co-worker yesterday. She has ~800 Word docs that are distributed as PDFs and then linked to on a website. In the current website for these PDFs, there is no search functionality. I have a sample set of Word docs that I can “play” with to see if linking them through a RH project is something that would allow a user to search for specific content across those ~800 PDFs. It’d be nice to know, prior to going down this road, whether there is a number of Word docs I shouldn’t exceed.


From: Manminder
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2016 10:07 PM

Thank you for watching the videos.
I’m afraid currently I don’t have the recorded video for that functionality, however I would appreciate if you could let me know what is the challenge you are facing in order to create the TOC from the linked word documents.


From: Me
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2016 10:48 PM
To: Manminder
Subject: Question

Hi

I’m working with RoboHelp 2015 and was watching your video - https://my.adobeconnect.com/rhforbeginners/ - and had a question.

I’m having difficulty with the way RoboHelp creates a TOC for the Word documents I am linking to. I wanted to know if you have recorded a video that goes over that functionality.

No comments: