And then... then the MUSIC! I'm happy - no ECSTATIC - to say there are bad words in this video - the F word and "shit" - so consider yourself warned.
My initial 5 reactions were:
- It sounds a lot like "My Apocalypse" on "Death Magnetic"
- It is a better introduction to new Metallica music than "The Day That Never Comes," which follows the same structure as, say, "Fade to Black" or "One"
- It has double bass rumblings so that means Lars is playing his drums.
- While the tune has a guitar solo, I wonder why the guitar solo is so short. It sounds almost like it was 1/2 of a longer, perhaps calculated, composition.
- James Hetfield has gone on record saying he doesn't curse as much anymore and yet, here on this initial tune, he says the F-word and the phrase "shit out of luck" - so I wonder if that viewpoint has changed somewhat.
It didn't take long for the anti-Metallica people in the world to rear their heads.