Saturday, September 20, 2014

Another Serbi

In other news, my friend Serbi and his wife had a baby boy! That is so AWESOME! Carson Michael Serbousek was born at 10:50 PM on Thursday, September 18, 2014. Carson weighed 7lbs and was 25 inches (0.64 m) long.

Here's a history lesson. Serbi is slightly older than me (45 - his birthday is in August while mine is in December). He was the 'first' groomsman in our wedding. It's silly to think about now but I could have very easily selected him as my best man in our wedding. When we were selecting our wedding party, I believed selecting my brother was the right decision. After all, Mark is my only brother. I also can't mention Serbi as my best man without chuckling about how it wasn't a popular decision with my friend Jamie. He couldn't believe that was my decision. I can still hear Jamie's voice in my head as he literally chewed my ass for not selecting Serbi as my best man. Despite the ass chewing I received, I do not regret selecting my brother - it was the right choice.


As time has marched on, life has taken our lives in two distinct directions with very little intersections. The last time I saw Serbi was when Lou's Classic Ride opened for his band Adrenalize at Fat Jack's in Cedar Rapids in July 2013. It's easy to recall a lot of highlights and lowlights over the last 29 years. We met in August or September 1985 at Kennedy High School. He and I were both in the drumline. That fall, there were 2 other sophomores in the drumline. One was considered a druggie; the other was considered too preppy. We became fast friends and, over the years, we went through so much - weddings, a funeral, and other things. We've also gone through major things separately, such as the day his daughter was born, when he married his second wife, and when Serbi and his first wife moved to Idaho for a period of time. Our lives are on different paths for sure. While he is welcoming a newborn into his life, I am preparing for next year when Megan will leave for college. Two years after that, Alex will leave for college. By this time in 2017, Alex will be off to college. I will be 48. Serbi will be 63 when Carson goes off to college. Talk about two different paths of life!

No comments: