Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Common Core, Christianity, and a Schedule that Matters Not to Me

If you believe the mainstream media, it seems Democrats are pro-Common Core while Republicans are anti-Common Core. Never one to believe in absolutes - only the Sith do that - here's one example of a Republican that is pro-Common Core, flipping the wildly held assumption that America has only two viewpoints - liberal & conservative. I disagree with that assumption. Rarely are things that easy to decipher. Making decisions on a 50/50 split is easy, but often shortsighted.

Especially, as noted by Erick Erickson in his rebuttal to the article in the New York Times that Christianity is on the decline. I like the phrasing in the opening: "The New York Times has a breathless report on the decline of Christianity in America. Much of the lefty twitterverse is celebrating the decline." The adjective "breathless" makes me chuckle a bit.

Finally, since I referenced the Star Wars universe in the title of this post as well as the first paragraph, I'll end with the news that the WriteTheDocs conference that begins on Saturday in Portland, OR, has released the daily schedule. I mention this because it has now been ~3 years, 2 months since my employer sent me to the WritersUA conference for technical writers in Memphis, TN. Sigh. I hope to attend another conference someday.

No comments: