Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Remove Me From Your List

I received the following email from Val Swisher on 11-03I did something like what Val Swisher describes - I have been asking to unsubscribe from the X number of music publicity email lists. I haven't published a music review since 11-29-2016, which is when my review of Metallica's Hardwired... To Self-Destruct album was published on Dailyvault.com.

Remove Me From Your List

by Val Swisher

Every year I make a New Year’s resolution. Not one that I can’t keep (such as competing in the next Iron Man competition) - I make sure it is something achievable. Over the years, I’ve resolved to:
•    Not check email during conference calls (come on, you do it too...)
•    Not talk on the phone in the car
•    Not check email in bed
Last year, my resolution was to immediately unsubscribe from all the lists my name has ended up on. You know the type – the ones where magically some company (usually a marketing agency) has gotten your name and then barrages you with unwelcome correspondence asking for a meeting.

Here is one that I received yesterday:

"Hi Val,

Leah on my team just asked me to reach out. Despite the recent email to you, Leah thought it might be better for us to connect directly.

As I’m sure Leah mentioned, we make high-power introductions for a living, specifically in the world of marketing.

If marketing isn’t bringing in 25% of your revenue, you’re missing low-hanging fruit. To capitalize, I can introduce you to a vetted marketing expert with a verified track record of driving revenue. You’ll be impressed, and they’ll open your eyes to what is possible.

Can I make the connection and set up an intro call?

Best,

Joseph Williams"

No Joseph. No you may not.

I’m 100% sure that I’ve already told Leah to remove me from their list (note there is no unsubscribe button in this email). I’m sure of this because it is my New Year’s resolution to immediately unsubscribe from all unsolicited emails.

And yet, I get second, third, and even fourth follow ups stating, “I know you didn’t respond to me last time, but here I am again, with the same ask.”
 
Does anyone ever answer these emails? Someone sends an email out of the blue, makes it sound like you are their new best friend, and then asks for 15 minutes this week? No. I don’t think so. This is not exactly an effective content strategy.

I don’t know how much money these companies are paying for the lists and how much time and money they spend on creating and sending these emails, but however much it is, the money is wasted. In fact, I will never do business with a company that solicits me after I have already told them to remove me from their list.

I wrote back to Joseph. I asked him what it would take for them to remove me from their list, since I have already asked multiple times. I did not hear back. Let’s hope I don’t.

Until next time,

Val


No comments: