Thursday, January 22, 2009

Catchup

Where to begin? This week flew by. I have not sat at my PC since Monday night. It was a crazy week but not without some major accomplishments.

At work, first and foremost, I finally solved my MSI issue! You may recall that when I went to install version "2," "version 1" displayed in the title bar. I worked with the original trainer that set up the MSI and he removed the version from the MSI. But the other problem was that the MSI was being referenced, somewhere, so no matter what I did, you always saw "version 1" when you were trying to install "version 2" and there was nothing I could do except uninstall "version 1" which was not an acceptable solution. Hence, it seems really strange to have been dealing with this since 12/23/08 but today, the month of not being able to get the new install for the new version of the software to work ended. Ultimately, it is the following VBS that fixed my issue:



'-----------------------------------------------------------------------
' execute commandline and get result into strResult
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Set oWsc = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set oExec = oWsc.Exec("msiexec /x ""\.msi""")
' wait until finished
Do While oExec.Status <> 1
WScript.Sleep 100
Loop
'--------------------------------------------------------
' get output from StdOut and StdErr
'--------------------------------------------------------
strResult = oExec.StdOut.ReadAll() & oExec.StdErr.ReadAll()
Set oExec = Nothing


So, what happens now is that you double-click the setup.exe for "version 2" and the first thing you see is a window that asks if you want to uninstall. Click "Yes" and version 1 is uninstalled, then version 2 is installed. It's a difference in how things work, normally, but I don't know how else to do it without requiring a manual uninstall of the previous version / install of the new version.

Secondly, it was pointed out to me that spelling is very important:



Third, a video that was supposedly very funny has been removed from Youtube so I can't link to it. I found a funny Eddie Murphy video but there's just so many curse words, I don't feel right posting it. So I found some street drumming. The chops are amazing!


http://www.youtube.com/v/A_hlVrFHE_A&hl=


Also found this awesome 2:20 track:
http://www.youtube.com/v/YrMq5gvrwIk&hl=


Back to work. I have 20 weeks of work sitting on my desk or shortly arriving on my desk. It takes me to mid-June. Once again, I did not spend a lot of time writing doc. I don't know when all of it will get done so I'll just keep plugging away. The 20 weeks doesn't include the table-layout to tableless layout conversion project or the 9 new systems. Should be interesting!

I'm having lunch with one of my friends tomorrow. He was in the group of 4 of us that went to Memphis in May in 2007. He used to work with me, but left a long time ago, yet our friendship is one that I cherish. He's a good guy with a lot of the same ideas regarding music and what sucks and what doesn't. I look forward to lunch tomorrow.

No comments: